Contact us at (800) USC-CARE (800-872-2273)

3 Female Pelvic Issues You Should Discuss With a Urologist

woman talks to urologist about pelvic health issues

Your recurrent UTIs could be a sign of something more serious. Here are three conditions you should discuss with a urologist.

Ladies, as uncomfortable as talking about your pelvic health may seem, it can help you avoid painful or even dangerous complications down the road. This is especially true because pelvic and urinary tract conditions are more common as women age.

Knowing when an issue requires a visit to your primary care physician, as opposed to a urologist, can help mitigate complications even further. Although most pelvic health concerns, such as general bladder discomfort or a urinary tract infection (UTI), can be discussed with your primary care physician, more serious or recurring issues, such as the following, may require seeing a urologist.

Urinary incontinence

Urinary incontinence refers to a loss of bladder control. Common symptoms include urine leakage and suddenly having the overpowering urge to urinate – and sometimes not being able to get to the bathroom in time. Symptoms may also include leaking urine when coughing, sneezing or exercising. There are multiple factors that can contribute to urinary incontinence, including multiple childbirths or menopause. A variety of therapies are available for this condition.

Recurrent UTIs

UTIs are common among women of varying ages, but multiple UTIs in a single year can indicate a larger, more serious issue. If you experience recurrent UTIs, a Keck Medicine of USC urologist can help diagnose and treat your issue.

Pelvic organ prolapse

Over time, your pelvic floor, a group of muscles and tissues keeping your pelvic organs in place, can weaken, especially after pregnancy and childbirth. This can cause your pelvic organs to drop, or prolapse, from their normal place in your pelvic region. The bladder is the most common pelvic organ that prolapses, also this can also happen to your uterus or rectum. A Keck Medicine of USC urologist can help diagnose and treat this issue for you.

If you think you have a urinary tract condition, schedule an appointment with the USC Institute of Urology today.

Keck Medicine of USC is the University of Southern California’s medical enterprise, one of only two university-owned academic medical centers in the Los Angeles area.